Phone: +353 1 708 3447
Fax: +353 1 708 3848
Office: Room 124, Eolas Building
My research centers on parsers and (front-end) compiler technology for
object-oriented languages as part of the
of Programming research group here. Primary areas of application
include program analysis and transformation
and software testing and verification.
See: my publication list or
entries in DBLP,
ACM Author Profile,
- The modules I'm teaching in the 2016-17 academic year are:
Other courses I've taught recently include:
- CS619 Program Comprehension
(MSc in Software Engineering, MSc in Dependable Software Systems, 2006-2014)
- CS143 Introduction to Computer Systems (1st Year CSSE/Sci/Arts,
Semester 2, 2013 & 2015)
- CS141 & CS142 Introduction to Programming, (HCert in Software
Development, Kilkenny Campus, 2012).
- CS430 - Advanced Concepts and
Issues in CS (4th CSSE/CS, 2009-2012) .
- An introduction to computational
thinking, in Feb/March 2012 at
our Kilkenny Campus
- CS310 Compilers (3rd CSSE,
4th CS, 2005-2011)
- CS357 Software Verification (3rd
CSSE, 4th CS, 2005-2011)
- We have an ongoing collaboration with
Zhejiang University in
Hangzhou, China, where I've taught
Fundamentals of Software Engineering to 2nd year
undergraduates (May-June 2012, May-June 2011) and a graduate-level course
on Program Analysis (March 2007).
- Older modules I've taught include:
CS614 Component Based Software Engineering (MSc in SE, 2005),
SE304/CS407 Formal Methods (2000-2004),
SE301/CS310 Compiler Design (2001-2004),
SE209 Virtual Machines (1999),
SE101/CS100 Principles of Computer Programming (1999-2004).
- Before this (in DCU) I've given courses on computability,
logic, formal semantics and compiler design
BSc. (Computer Science), University College Dublin, 1990.
- MSc., Linking Programs and Specifications in Z,
Dublin City University, 1991.
- PhD., Institutional Approaches to Programming Language
Specification, Dublin City University, 1995.
- Diploma in Classical Studies, Open University, 2009.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Teaching and Learning for Higher
Education, NUI Maynooth, 2010.